Requirements for Baptism (Age 0-6 yrs) at our Parish
Our Lady of Guadalupe – Helotes follows Canon Law requirements for baptism. We want to thank you for allowing us to serve you and for the opportunity to help you learn about the importance of your child’s baptism.
- First, CLICK on links below to download and print the Applications for Baptism (Both are REQUIRED).
- CLICK HERE to download & print the NEW Baptismal Application
- Choose your Godparents for your child. A qualifying Godparent must meet Canon Law requirements. Canon Law states that the Godparent(s) must be:
- 16 years or older (Our Lady of Guadalupe prefers a Godparent be at least 18 years of age)
- Practicing their faith regularly (attending Mass every Sunday)
- Living a Christian moral lifestyle
- If a single (unmarried) person, must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation (copies of each certificate must accompany the Godparent application)
- If a married person, the Godparent must be married in a Catholic church. (copies of the certificates of Confirmation AND Marriage must accompany the Godparent application.)
- You may have two Godparents (one male and one female). OR, you may have only one Godparent, preferably the same sex as your child.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe – Helotes requires that both parents and Godparents attend a baptismal preparation class. You may choose to attend one of our scheduled classes listed below, OR you may attend a baptismal preparation class at any other Catholic church. Proof from that church that you have attended their class must be included with your baptismal application.
- Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Tuesday, Mar. 3, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Tuesday, May 19, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Thursday, July 9, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
Para preparacion bautismal en Español, favor de comunicarse con Adela Vigueras al (210) 760-2558.
- If you and/or the Godparents are not REGISTERED PARISHIONERS of Our Lady of Guadalupe-Helotes, please include a Letter of Good Standing (or permission) from the church where you are currently attending Mass. This letter must state that you are registered and have permission to baptize outside your church boundary.
- Once you have gathered all the documentation needed with your completed applications and have taken a baptismal preparation class, please contact Anna Alvarado to schedule a time for you to meet with her and submit your paperwork. When AND ONLY when Mrs. Alvarado has received your completed applications and documentation will she provide parents with a list of possible baptism dates.
Review – Parents need to provide the following:
- Baptism Application for Parents
- Copy of your child’s State-issued Birth Certificate
- Proof of baptismal preparation class
- A Letter of Good Standing from your church (if a registered parishioner at another church)
Review – Godparents need to provide the following:
- Proof of baptismal preparation class
- If SINGLE: a) Certificate of Confirmation, b) Letter of Good Standing from their parish
- If MARRIED: a) Certificate of Confirmation, b) Certificate of Marriage, c) Letter of Good Standing from their church
State-Issued Copies of Birth Certificates
Please expect to pay a $23 fee for obtaining a birth certificate from the relevant authority.
For births in San Antonio
Certificates can be ordered:
- in person at the city health district office at 719 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio. Call 210-207-8754 for directions and details.
- in person at a city Community Link Service Center. The nearest center to OLG Parish is located at 8523 Blanco, San Antonio, 210-207-6150.
- or online at http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/vital.
- You may also visit: NOWCastSA online for information on the nearest San Antonio library branch offering birth certificate services.
For births elsewhere in Texas
- Call the Texas State Bureau of Vital Statistics at 1-888-963-7111 or visit the web site http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/ovra/.
For births in other states
- Visit the web site http://www.vitalchek.com and follow the links.
For more information, contact:
- Anna Alvarado: AAlvarado@olghelotes.org or (210) 695-8791, ext 114
- Para informacion sobre Bautismos en Español (edad 0 a 6 años):
- Adela Vigueras, (210) 760-2558, ext. 118.