HOW DO I GET A DATE OF BAPTISM?
- Make sure that you (the Parents) and your child’s godparents take a Baptismal Preparation Class.
- Turn in a COMPLETED Application for the Sacrament of Baptism AND ALL required documentation to the Parish Office. Available dates of baptism WILL NOT be shared with any PARENT until ALL required forms and backup documentation has been received by our Parish Office.
WHAT DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
- Application for the Sacrament of Baptism (PDF)
- Child’s State-Issued Birth Certificate
- Parents’ Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
- Parents’ Letter of Permission from their church (if Parents ARE NOT registered parishioners of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Helotes)
- Godfather’s Certificate of Confirmation
- Godfather’s Certificate of Catholic Marriage (If NOT SINGLE)
- Godfather’s Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
- Godmother’s Certificate of Confirmation
- Godmother’s Certificate of Catholic Marriage (if NOT SINGLE)
- Godmother’s Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
HOW DO I FIND OUT IF I AM A REGISTERED PARISHIONER?
Please CALL our Parish Office during regular business hours (Monday-Friday; 9 AM-5 PM, except on holidays and Holy Days of Obligation) to inquire about your parishioner status.
WHERE CAN I TAKE A BAPTISMAL PREPARATION CLASS?
You can take a Baptismal Preparation Class at any Catholic Church as long as you provide proof of completion from that church (either a certificate OR a written letter on the church’s official letterhead).
For your convenience, Our Lady of Guadalupe-Helotes will offer a Baptismal Preparation Class (open to both parents and godparents) on the following dates:
Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church) Tuesday, Mar. 3, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church) Tuesday, May 19, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church) Thursday, July 9, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
- Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020 (6:30 PM – 8 PM in the church)
Para preparacion bautismal en Español, favor de comunicarse con Adela Vigueras al (210) 760-2558.
WHAT QUALITIES DO I LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING MY CHILD’S BAPTISMAL GODPARENT?
A qualified baptismal godparent is a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic church? What does this mean? A practicing Catholic in good standing is a person who:
- is attending weekly Sunday Mass on a regular basis.
- has received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Holy Eucharist (First Holy Communion) AND Confirmation in the Catholic Church
- has received the Sacrament of Matrimony in the Catholic Church, if they are a married person.
- has attended and completed a Baptismal Preparation Class.
- is prepared to and accepts the responsibility of helping you (the Parents), guide your child on their journey of faith in the Catholic church.
HOW DO I GET A COPY OF MY CHILD’S STATE ISSUED BIRTH CERTIFICATE?
Please expect to pay a $23 fee for obtaining a birth certificate from the relevant authority.
BORN IN SAN ANTONIO?
Certificates can be ordered:
- in person at the city health district office at 719 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio. Call 210-207-8754 for directions and details.
- in person at a city Community Link Service Center. The nearest center to OLG Parish is located at 8523 Blanco, San Antonio, 210-207-6150.
- or online at http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/vital.
- You may also visit: NOWCastSA online for information on the nearest San Antonio library branch offering birth certificate services.
BORN IN ANOTHER TEXAS CITY?
- Call the Texas State Bureau of Vital Statistics at 1-888-963-7111 or visit the web site http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/ovra/.
BORN IN ANOTHER STATE?
- Visit the web site http://www.vitalchek.com and follow the links.
MORE QUESTIONS? PLEASE CONTACT…
- Anna Alvarado: AAlvarado@olghelotes.org or (210) 695-8791, ext 114
- Para informacion sobre Bautismos en Español (edad 0 a 6 años), por favor hable con Adela Vigueras al (210) 760-2558.