COPS/Metro (formerly Communities Organized for Public Service or C.O.P.S. and the Metro Alliance) is a coalition of parishes and institutions coming together so that we can effectively act on behalf of families. COPS/Metro works to identify a diverse, broad-based leadership that can connect to each other in new ways in order to act effectively on behalf of children, families, and neighborhoods. By learning to work together for the public good, COPS/Metro leaders are able to work with the business community and elected officials to make Bexar County (Helotes and San Antonio) a better place for families.
COPS/METRO Alliance Initiatives:
Parish leaders have been participating in virtual meetings with other parishes and civic groups to find ways to assist those in need and to alleviate the suffering of the most vulnerable in our community. We have had numerous Zoom meetings with our elected officials to keep them focused on ways to assist the less fortunate who have been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are some specific issues we are working on with our elected officials:
- Housing assistance (rentals and mortgages)
- Cash payments for those not receiving CARES funding
- Long term job training through Project Quest and other programs
- Moratorium on housing late fees
- Oversight and control of payday lenders who charge outrageous fees
- Education stabilization funding
- Care for our environment
- Help with challenging increases to property taxes
- Keeping TXDOT accountable to fix our “death curve” before heavy traffic resumes
Questions? Comments or Suggestions? Please let us know.
- Catherine McCoy – email@example.com
- Edna Molina – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve Mendoza – email@example.com
- Aurora Valek – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Norma Patricia Perez – email@example.com
- Ninfa Molina – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Richeson
- Mayra Juárez-Denis (Senior Organizer) – email@example.com
Social distancing physically does not mean social isolation. We strive to build up our community and this time is no different. We will remain connected with our fellow parishioners and come out more united than ever before.