WHAT DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
- Application / Solicitud
- Child’s State-Issued Birth Certificate
- Parents’ Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
- Patents’ Letter of Permission from their church (if Parents ARE NOT registered parishioners of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Helotes)
- Godfather’s Certificate of Confirmation
- Godfather’s Certificate of Catholic Marriage (if NOT SINGLE)
- Godfather’s Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
- Godmother’s Certificate of Confirmation
- Godmother’s Certificate of Marriage (if NOT SINGLE)
- Godmother’s Proof of Baptismal Preparation Class
An individual who is in a COMMON-LAW or CIVIL marriage DOES NOT qualify to be a baptismal godparent because their union has not been blessed in the Catholic Church. For this same reason, they cannot receive communion during Mass. Therefore, they are unable to fully practice their faith. A Qualified Baptismal Godparent is…
WHAT QUALITIES DO I LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING MY CHILD’S BAPTISMAL GODPARENT?
A qualified baptismal godparent is a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic church? What does this mean? A practicing Catholic in good standing is a person who:
- is prepared to and accepts the responsibility of helping you (the Parents), guide your child on their journey of faith in the Catholic church.
- is attending weekly Sunday Mass on a regular basis.
- has received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Holy Eucharist (First Holy Communion) AND Confirmation in the Catholic Church
- if they are a married person, has received the Sacrament of Matrimony in the Catholic Church,
- has attended and completed a Baptismal Preparation Class.
HOW DO I GET A DATE OF BAPTISM?
- Turn in a COMPLETED Application for the Sacrament of Baptism AND ALL required documentation to the Parish Office. Available dates of baptism WILL NOT be shared with any PARENT until ALL required forms and backup documentation has been received by our Parish Office.
WHERE CAN I TAKE A BAPTISMAL PREPARATION CLASS?
You can take a Baptismal Preparation Class at any Catholic Church as long as you provide proof of completion from that church (either a certificate OR a written letter on the church’s official letterhead). For your convenience, Our Lady of Guadalupe-Helotes offers a Baptismal Preparation Class, open to both parents and godparents, on the following dates:
CLASSES TAKE PLACE IN THE MAIN CHURCH 6:30 PM TO 8:00 PM
NO REGISTRATION or R.S.V.P. IS REQUIRED FOR THESE CLASSES
SIMPLY ATTEND, CHILD CARE NOT PROVIDED, CLASSES ARE FOR ADULTS ONLY
Dates in 2023
Thursday, January 12
Thursday, March 16
Thursday, May 25
Monday, July 17
Thursday, September 7
Thursday, November 9
HOW DO I GET A COPY OF MY CHILD’S STATE ISSUED BIRTH CERTIFICATE?
- In person, Vital Records Division, George Whitfield, Jr. Municipal Records Facility, 719 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio, TX 78204 Call 210-207-8754 for directions and details.
- Online at http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/vital.
- You may also visit: NOWCastSA online for information on the nearest San Antonio library branch offering birth certificate services.
BORN IN ANOTHER TEXAS CITY?
- Call the Texas State Bureau of Vital Statistics at 1-888-963-7111 or visit the web site http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/ovra/.
BORN IN ANOTHER STATE?
- Visit the web site http://www.vitalchek.com and follow the links.
MORE QUESTIONS? PLEASE CONTACT…
- Anna Alvarado: AAlvarado@olghelotes.org or (210) 695-8791, ext 114