WHAT DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
- Application / Solicitud
- Your child’s state-issued birth certificate (long form)
- If the parents ARE NOT registered parishioners of Our Lady of Guadalupe-Helotes, parents MUST provide a Letter of Good Standing with Permission to Request the Sacrament of Baptism from the church where they are registered and attending Mass regularly.
- Proof of participation in a Baptismal Preparation Class from a Catholic church for both the parents AND each godparent.
- Sacramental Certificate of Confirmation for each godparent.
- If one or both godparents are married people, they MUST be married in the Catholic Church and provide a Sacramental Certificate of Marriage from that church. This is NOT you state issued marriage license. It is a church document.
HOW DO I GET A DATE OF BAPTISM?
- Turn in a COMPLETED Application for the Sacrament of Baptism AND ALL required documentation to the Parish Office. Available dates of baptism WILL NOT be shared with any PARENT until ALL required forms and backup documentation has been received by our Parish Office.
WHERE CAN I TAKE A BAPTISMAL PREPARATION CLASS?
You can take a Baptismal Preparation Class at any Catholic Church as long as you provide proof of completion from that church (either a certificate OR a written letter on the church’s official letterhead).
For your convenience, Our Lady of Guadalupe-Helotes offers a Baptismal Preparation Class, open to both parents and godparents, on the following dates:
CLASSES TAKE PLACE IN THE MAIN CHURCH FROM 6:30 PM TO 8:00 PM
- Thursday, November 11, 2021
- Thursday, January 13, 2022
- Thursday, March 10, 2022
- Monday, May 23, 2022
- Monday, July 18, 2022
- Thursday, September 8, 2022
- Thursday, November 10, 2022
WHAT QUALITIES DO I LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING MY CHILD’S BAPTISMAL GODPARENT?
A qualified baptismal godparent is a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic church? What does this mean? A practicing Catholic in good standing is a person who:
- is prepared to and accepts the responsibility of helping you (the Parents), guide your child on their journey of faith in the Catholic church.
- is attending weekly Sunday Mass on a regular basis.
- has received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Holy Eucharist (First Holy Communion) AND Confirmation in the Catholic Church
- if they are a married person, has received the Sacrament of Matrimony in the Catholic Church,
- has attended and completed a Baptismal Preparation Class.
HOW DO I GET A COPY OF MY CHILD’S STATE ISSUED BIRTH CERTIFICATE?
- In person, Vital Records Division, George Whitfield, Jr. Municipal Records Facility, 719 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio, TX 78204 Call 210-207-8754 for directions and details.
- Online at http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/vital.
- You may also visit: NOWCastSA online for information on the nearest San Antonio library branch offering birth certificate services.
BORN IN ANOTHER TEXAS CITY?
- Call the Texas State Bureau of Vital Statistics at 1-888-963-7111 or visit the web site http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/ovra/.
BORN IN ANOTHER STATE?
- Visit the web site http://www.vitalchek.com and follow the links.
MORE QUESTIONS? PLEASE CONTACT…
- Anna Alvarado: AAlvarado@olghelotes.org or (210) 695-8791, ext 114