Preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation begins when the youth is a Sophomore in High School. If you are an adult age 18 or older inquiring about Adult Confirmation, please CLICK HERE to learn more.
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
Parent/Teen Meeting for 2020-2021 Enrollment
All parents wanting to enroll their teens in either Year 1 of our High School Confirmation program AND parents with returning teens wanting to proceed to Year 2 MUST attend a MANDATORY meeting in order to be enrolled.
The teen and one parent MUST be present at the meeting. The meeting will take place in the main Church. Proper social distancing will be enforced and you MUST wear a mask.
In order to keep the Church at the required 25% capacity, you MUST sign up using the link below in order to guarantee a spot. We ask that ONLY ONE parent and the teen attend to keep attendance numbers down
Teens entering into our Year 1 Program will need bring a copy of their Baptismal and First Communion certificates in order to enroll. ONLY high school Sophomores & Juniors will be accepted into the Year 1 Program. Click the link to see available dates and to sign up.
- Application form
- Payment of $60
- Copy of candidate Baptismal certificate
- Copy of candidate First Communion certificate
- Commitment letter signed by both the parent and the candidate
- Payment of $90
- Form – Confirmation Sponsor – HS
- Copy of sponsor Confirmation certificate
- Copy of sponsor Catholic marriage certificate
- Retreat release form (will be emailed to parents in the spring of year 1 classes)
Adult Volunteers Needed
Our High School Confirmation Program is in need of small group leaders for its 2019-2020 program year. No previous ministry experience is required and you do not need to have any official training in Catechetics BUT we do need leaders with:
- a good knowledge of Catholic teaching
- a love for the Catholic faith AND
- a desire to share their faith with our youth
For more information on how you can volunteer as a Confirmation Group Leader, please contact Jen Stambaugh (H.S. Confirmation Coordinator) at JStam@olghelotes.org.
This year we will be communicating all important announcements by using Flocknotes. It is more important this year than ever that we are able to contact each of you should we need to cancel a class, move an event or have any other changes or updates. Please click the link for your teen’s Confirmation year below to sign up.
Year 1 Confirmation: https://OLGHelotes.flocknote.com/ConfirmationYear
Year 2 Confirmation: https://OLGHelotes.flocknote.com/Confirmation2
Sacramental Requirements & Sponsor Info
Confirmation Candidates (Confirmandi)
- Our High School Confirmation Program is a two year program beginning in either the Sophomore or Junior year. Please plan ahead to begin on time, as it is too late to begin in the Senior year
- Must express a readiness and desire for the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Must have a willingness to continue their faith formation beyond the Sacrament of Confirmation
- Will not have conflicts with work, sports, or extra-curricular events that prevent attending and participating in Confirmation sessions. Classes will be held on Sunday afternoons.
- Each candidate beginning in the second year must select a Confirmation name based on a saint who inspires them, or is someone they would like to emulate. Confirmation students MUST complete a 2 page paper (typed, double spaced) on the life of the saint they have chosen that includes an explanation as to why they have chosen that saint. Do not just send me a bio of the life of your saint. Tell me from your heart how you identify with your saint. A great format to follow could be to pick 3-5 virtues of your saint that you would like to exemplify in your own life and write a paragraph per virtue to further explain how and why you will live that in your life as a Confirmed Catholic. Your saint paper MUST BE IN YOUR OWN WORDS and can be turned in via email at any time before or on the FINAL DUE DATE OF December 6, 2020.
- Year 2 students will receive a Confirmation Assessment on: MARCH 22, 2020.
- The Confirmation Year 2 Retreat is MANDATORY. More information to come.
Teens who have not yet received the Sacrament of First Eucharist will be asked to spend this year in preparation for the sacrament and will then be eligible for Confirmation the following school year.
Prerequisites for Confirmation Sponsors
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a fully initiated Catholic (received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist)
- Must participate regularly in the Eucharist
- Must not be living in marriages not recognized by the Church
- Must not be the parent of the candidate or person dating/married to candidate
- Should be able to help in the formation process through communication and meetings, and should be able to attend various events throughout the year. For this reason, we strongly recommend you pick someone local to be the sponsor.
If you need help finding a good sponsor, the Confirmation Director may be able to help find one from the parish community.
Class Schedules & Attendance
Confirmation students are allowed only 1 absence. Jen Stambaugh should be informed by a parent via email if a teen will be absent. ALL missed classes MUST be made up online following the instructions below. Students who exceed this limit will be in danger of NOT receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation.
How do I access the Chosen videos?
Prior to coming to small groups on the dates provided on the calendar, candidates must watch all 3 videos for both lessons assigned to discuss that day. They should answer the questions in the text book and bring their book to class to show their work to the small group leader.
Please only one log-in per family, we are only allowed a certain amount of users.
- Address: https://ascensionpress.com
- Select Log in, then create an account.
- Select Join a Study. It will ask for a code. Enter 6R53JS
How do I make up a missed class?
If a candidate misses class, they should email a photo of the book answers to email@example.com no later than one week after the missed class. Please see the calendar links above to see which chapters need to be done. If more than one class is missed, the candidate will be at risk of being removed from the Confirmation program.
Community Service Requirements
Year 1 Confirmation students are required to do 15 hours of service each year of preparation. Year 1 hours are due July 22, 2021. All hours must come from the list on the link below.
Year 2 Confirmation students are required to turn in 15 hours of service this year. At least 5 of those hours need to be done during their second year of preparation. All hours done after July 2020 need to be from the list in the link below. Year 2 hours are due January 10, 2021.
A volunteer verification form must be signed by the volunteer supervisor each time service is done.
I updated this service form to download and print as a PDF. There must be both an email address and a phone number provided for the volunteer supervisor (the adult in charge of the service opportunity).
Once all hours are completed, please staple together and submit all hours at one time. Hours can be turned in at any class up until the due date or they can be brought into the parish office any time before the due date in an envelope with attention to Jen Stambaugh.
The Confirmation Year 2 Retreat is MANDATORY. More information to come.
Our Confirmation Mass date(s) and time(s) are selected by the Office of the Archbishop and based on the Archbishop’s calendar.
Dress Code for Confirmation Mass
Both Candidates and Sponsors MUST dress appropriately and respectfully for the Confirmation Mass. Guidelines for the dress code are as follow:
MEN – Dress shirt and tie (if possible, a suit and tie)
- Dress pants
- Dress shoes
- NO JEANS
- NO TENNIS SHOES
WOMEN – Nice dress or skirt and blouse
- If not wearing a dress, pants MUST be dressy
- Shoulders MUST be covered (wear a sweater, jacket or shawl if necessary)
- Dresses and skirts must not be too tight and NO SHORTER THAN 2 INCHES ABOVE THE KNEE
- NO JEANS
- NO TENNIS SHOES
- Jennifer Stambaugh, JStam@olghelotes.org OR at (210) 695-8791, ext. 110